What is a CP12 or Gas Safety Certificate?

Gas Safety Certificates Explained

When it comes to keeping a property safe for inhabitants, there can be many different requirements that are needed, both morally and legally. One of the most important aspects of any residence is to ensure that all pipework, flues and gas appliances are installed in the right way. This is where a CP12 certificate comes into play, most commonly known as a gas safety certificate.

Who Can Carry Out These Checks?

Gas safety checks can only be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Ascertaining the authenticity of an engineer is relatively straightforward, as it will be detailed on the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe registration card.

However, should you want to double-check, you can also head over to the Gas Safe Register website to ensure the business or engineer is registered.

You should also note that an engineer will also need to install the equipment, so you couldn’t have any gas piping or appliance installed by someone without a Gas Safety registration, on the assumption it can be checked by someone who has, because this is not the case.

Whose Responsibility Is It to Carry Out Checks

For those who own their own property, the onus of gas safety checks will lie with the owner. However, if you’re a landlord leasing the property out to tenants, then the responsibility lies with yourself. A gas safety inspection need to be kept on record for two years, and any new tenants will require a copy of the gas safety check carried out.

How Often Should You Undertake a Gas Safety Check?

A gas safety check needs to be carried out every 12 months from a legal standpoint, but it is advisable to also ensure that you have an inspection carried out when changing over tenants. Although the gas safety check may have been carried out in the right way, it could be that some damage has occurred within the property, so it certainly doesn’t do any harm to ensure that all appliances and fixture are up to the expected standard before new tenants move in.

Is There Anything Else to Consider?

It has become normal practice for landlords to provide tenants with a carbon-monoxide alarm. This allows tenants to report a fault with any fittings and appliances before it becomes a dangerous hazard. Of course, this should never be seen as a replacement for regular safety checks.

A CP12 or Gas Safety Certificate is a Legal Obligation

To summarise, a CP12 Certificate and Gas Safety Check Certificate are one in the same, and will include the following aspects as part of the checks.

  • Gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness
  • Burner pressure and gas rate will be checked against the manufactures data plate.
  • The engineer will ensure that the relevant ventilation is in place.
  • Any appliances posing to be a danger are reported, and the tenant is made aware.
  • The flue flow will be tested to ensure combustion is removed.
  • Flame failure devices are checked to ensure they are fully operable.
  • These checks, along with others, will be reported on your CP12 Gas Safety certificate. A copy of this check will be delivered to both the landlord and tenant,